Yevgenia Medvedeva commented on Alena Kostornaia’s debut in pairs skating.
At the Russian Grand Prix stage in Omsk, Kostornaya and Georgy Kunitsa took fourth place with a score of 192.77 points.
– What do you think of Alena in pairs?
– I agree with Maksim Trankov, who said that people are still evaluating single skating more, no matter whether Alyona is in pairs or not. Still, there is still a lot of work to be done on the pair elements.
It’s cool that a former singles skater is so fearless about going into emissions. But it seems to me that to compete, for example, with Mishina and Galliamov…. Alena and Gosha’s ejections and Mishina and Galliamov’s ejections are two completely different elements.
It is clear that you have to start at some point and you have to enter the arena too, but to be honest, I would sit for another season, practise. Because you can see from the interview that Alyona is very upset with low grades.
– What do you think of the statement “Our labor has been flushed down the toilet”?
– It is a caustic statement, but at the same time it takes place if the athletes skated perfectly clean. Yes, sometimes people get sued. There is such a thing as a bargaining chip, even between sports it happens. When you have skated perfectly clean, they give you marks, but the hall is silent, without applause, because everyone is in shock. Then you can come out and say: “Our labor is flushed down the toilet with such small marks”. Well, and there are multiple mistakes…. And it wasn’t judged that badly.
– When do you think Alyona and Gosha can become competitive for the first place in the national team?
– A couple of seasons for sure. People have been skating in pairs for 6-7 years. And here they have skated together for six months and want gold. It’s impossible,” Medvedeva said.