Tutberidze called Shcherbakova’s victories over Kostornaya and Trusova “revenge”.
Shcherbakova’s victories are revenge against Kostornaya and Trusova
– It was an incredible story for me: a trio that I thought at the time was preparing for the Olympics: Kostornaya, Shcherbakova, Trusova. They finish the season: Kostornaya wins everything, Trusova jumps everything she can. And now two of these three are leaving.
– And what’s more, I also drew in my head: if the Olympic team competition, then who skates what. And I already understood for myself that Kostornaya skates the short program, because she has a triple axel, because her skating is a little bit different from the others.
– It was such a nerve-wracking, stressful and challenging experience for you – and the next season becomes Shcherbakova’s season. She wins everything, beats both Kostornaya and Trusova, which she had never done before in adult. The other two come back a year later, realizing that they might not just win nothing at the Olympics…..
– Wait, that’s when Valieva is already starting to show up.
– Of course! You always have someone starting to show up.
– Not always.
– Even now you have Bazyluk appearing in such a way that it’s unbelievable. How can it be so, when they criticize? They perform like this, they leave as superstars and fall apart after a year, while the one who stays with Tutberidze’s coaching staff becomes better. And what’s more, she wins the Olympics. It is clear that the story with Valieva stands apart, but nevertheless. Were you celebrating inside?
– Oh no, you don’t celebrate anything.
– I can’t believe you weren’t uncomfortable. And that when Shcherbakova beat Kostornaya and Trusova when they were at Plushenko’s, it was something special.
– To me, it’s such a revenge. These are the best dishes you can teach,” said Eteri Tutberidze, honored coach of Russia in figure skating, on air on “Comment.Coach” with Leonid Slutsky.