Eteri Tutberidze explained what surprised her in Medvedvea and Trusova’s words.
Figure skater Evgenia Medvedva left Tutberidze’s group in 2018 to Brian Orser. Alexandra Trusova has been training with Svetlana Sokolovskaya since 2022.
– None of your mentees who left ever achieved anything anywhere. And Zhenya Medvedeva at the 2019 World Cup was as happy about bronze as she was about gold medals.
– Although she lost to a Kazakh athlete.
– Don’t you (athletes) realize that you grow with this coach? What does he give you? Parents should understand.
– I don’t know. At some point they start to think that they have achieved everything themselves. I’m almost sure that if Zhenya Medvedeva sincerely digs into her head… She and I know this truth, the two of us. Even maybe Dudakov and the others don’t know it.
Some things we’ve accomplished together. I must give her credit that she understood her problem areas very well. If you say to someone: here is a snag, another athlete does not perceive it – Zhenya immediately understood everything, there was no need to discuss it with her.
That’s why it’s very strange to me that there were interviews about her new family or about her family in general, that she found it. It’s okay. They all leave when they have a personalized approach and new families, they are loved. Sasha (Trusova) was loved by her family there too. They probably still do. Now she is also talking about her new family.
First of all, it is not the one who loves you, who strokes you, kisses you and tells you how great you are and how great everything will be with you. It’s the one who makes you win medals.
Maybe she forced you, scolded you, or didn’t listen to you complain about how bad you felt and couldn’t do anything, but put you back on your music and made you roll. This one does. Who spends her nerves, her energy, her life, part of her life on you. Energy that no one can replace.
– You have to make up your mind, or you just want to ride…
– They don’t get it! They think he hugged her, said something to her and smiled at her. But here they don’t smile. So they probably don’t like it,” said Eteri Tutberidze, honored figure skating coach of Russia, on the air of “Comment.Coach” with Leonid Slutsky.