Former figure skater and coach Katharina Gerboldt commented on the decision of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) in the case of figure skater Kamila Valieva.
RUSADA Disciplinary Committee found Valiyeva not guilty of doping violations, but annulled her winning result at the Russian Championship on December 25, 2021. Alexandra Trusova should be the new winner of the tournament.
– Trusova would like some kind of recognition to be given the title. On the other hand, it was so long ago that it is unclear why she needs it. It turns out that other athletes should also receive their medals, – thinks Katharina Gerboldt.
– Can we hold the ceremony quietly, so that Valiyeva is not offended?
– There is a slippery slope. She had her title of Russian champion taken away, but there shouldn’t be any hard feelings. She shouldn’t have participated in the Olympics, but she did and at least she left with a title. It’s very frustrating for Lisa Tuktamysheva, who was supposed to go to the Olympics. She could have won something. But it didn’t work out. It must be a shame for her.
– Would it have been right for Valieva to give Trusova her own gold medal?
– That was a long time ago, so it doesn’t matter if Trusova has the medal. Everyone knows she owns the title and the title of Russian champion. That’s the most important thing,” Herboldt said.