Eteri Tutberidze explained why Alina Zagitova does not compete.
– Here is Alina Zagitova. In order to skate the way she skated at the Olympics – after that even the World Championships she took, she was a little bit out of shape – she came to the rink, without lying, at 8 am and left the rink at 9-10 pm.
Because all this time she was either working in the gym – before choreography she had an hour and a half, she was doing OFP. Then choreography, then ice, then stretching, then again she has the gym, then ice, then she has again OFP and warm-up. And that’s the regimen she went through for a year and a half to be in the tops.
– If she didn’t have that regimen, she wouldn’t be in the top?
– No, she wouldn’t have been.
– Was that the only option at all?
– It was the only way for her to be in shape. She needs to work out a lot. A lot. In order for her to just choreograph, she had to do an hour and a half of O.P.F. with ropes and everything.
In that kind of regimen…well, why should I push her any further? She’s tired. Well, she’s not gonna do as well in any other routine. Should I force her? – Tutberidze said in an interview with Leonid Slutsky.
Zagitova is the Olympic champion of PyeongChang 2018 and the world champion of 2019. She last competed in the competition in December 2019.